Adding printer in FC4

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at pathfinder.phys.utk.edu
Tue Aug 2 12:33:19 UTC 2005

Hello,

On Tuesday 02 August 2005 08:06, André Fettouhi wrote:
> I am trying to add our network printer (HP Laserjet 4100) on my newly
> installed FC4 box (P4 3.0 GHz). Adding the printer in itself is no
> problem at it works afterwards without a problem. Now the problem is if
> I shut down the PC or do a restart then I have to add it again. For some
> reason FC4 doesn't remember it. Can anybody tell me why this is happening.

Not sure what cause this, but I have had similar problem with
system-config-printer in FC 4 too. It's really buggy IMO. I would set up a
printer system-config-printer but it would not show up
in /etc/cups/printers.conf (and in any application for that matter).

Maybe try the following:
1. set up your printer
2. run this command from terminal:
/usr/sbin/printconf-backend --force-rebuild
3. Restart cups :
/sbin/service cups restart

Then check to see if your printer is in /etc/cups/printers.conf:
grep URI /etc/cups/printers.conf

You should see your printer listed there. If it is, then you should be fine.

Hope that helps
RDB