USB Printer and Firefox

Andrew Mather mathera at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 13:10:33 UTC 2005

> We have an HP LaserJet 1010 printer with USB
> connection. There are two issues using it with FC4.

<snip>

> 2) We have to restart FC4 after plug in the printer in
> order to print from Firefox. Is there a way to avoid
> rebooting the PC?

What happens if you restart the cups daemon after plugging in the printer ?

Open a terminal and type (as root) service cups restart  (or maybe
it's service cupsd restart  ..I can't remeber and I'm not near an FC
machine.

You may need to restart firefox too, but you shouldn't need to reboot.

If there's no printer plugged in (or it's turned off) when you start
firefox, it just gives you the option postscript/default, even if you
plug in/turn on the printer later.  This may also work if the printer
you have is set as default, but I couldn't be sure.

HTH.