Weird character at end of tabs in terminal

Sjoerd Mullender sjoerd at acm.org
Tue Aug 2 13:59:03 UTC 2005

Dan Track wrote:
> On 8/2/05, Mike McCarty <mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>>Dan Track wrote:
>>
>>>Hi
>>>
>>>When flicking through the tabs on my gnome terminal using "Ctrl+Page
>>>Up" and "Ctrl+Page Down" I get a weird "5~5~" character repeat, until
>>>I let go of the keys. This never used to happen on before FC4.
>>>
>>>Is there anyway I can solve this?
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>Dan
>>>

>>I have written a little program I call "keys" which I use to try
>>to resolve such problems. It shows what a given key emits.
>>
>>$ keys
>>^[[5;5~
>>'.' = 1B
>>'[' = 5B
>>'5' = 35
>>';' = 3B
>>'5' = 35
>>'~' = 7E
>>'.' = 0A
>>
>>Ok, CTRL-PageUp and CTRL-PgUp (on numeric keypad) both generate
>>
>><ESC> [ 5 ; 5 ~
>>
>>on my machine. So it seems that the "<ESC> [ 5 ;" is being eaten
>>and interpreted as one keypress, and the "5~" is being interpreted
>>as a second keypress, not being recognized, and emitted.
>>
>>Now, why that should be, I dunno. Do you have a $HOME/.Xdefaults
>>file?
>>
>>Mike
>>--
>>p="p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}";main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}
>>This message made from 100% recycled bits.
>>You have found the bank of Larn.
>>I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
>>I speak only for myself, and I am unanimous in that!
>>

> Hi Mike
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Nope I don't have an .Xdefaults file. Its a standard install of FC4.
> Any ideas, I don't know where to start looking for a problem like
> this, and on top that google doesn't search items like "5~".
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Many Thanks
> Dan

ctrl-PageUp and ctrl-PageDown are (apparently) not bound by default by
gnome-terminal.  To bind them to whatever you would like them to do, go
to the menu bar and select Edit -> Keyboard Shortcuts... .  There you
can specify that Switch to Previous Tab should be <Control>Page_Up (just
click on the entry and then type ctrl-PageUp).  Same for Swith to Next Tab.

--
Sjoerd Mullender