FC4 and nano

Scott Talbot talbotscott at cox.net
Tue Aug 2 16:00:05 UTC 2005

Daniel Orzechowski wrote:

> When scrolling through a file opened in nano, I notice that the screen
> doesn't always refresh properly.  Hitting the arrow or page up/down
> keys results in the first 40 or so columns containing the proper text,
> but the rest still contain what was on the screen before I scrolled
> down.  This occurrs inside X using aterm as my terminal, as well as
> after killing X and logging in at the command line.  I haven't tried
> nano via ssh, so I don't know how it would respond.
>
> This has been a small problem for me ever since installing FC4.  FC3
> was fine in this regard.  I ran yum update a few nights ago, and am
> still seeing the problem.
>
> Is this an issue with nano itself?  Does it have something to do with
> a drawing library somewhere?  Does anyone know what I can do to fix
> it?  A Google search didn't result in anything useful.  Thanks in
> advance for any help.

    This problem is a bit old.  Apparently there is some problem that
nano has with the gnome terminal.  I personally use jpico (part of joes
editor) as a replacement. there are other options.  you may want to
check the archives, or at least look at this:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&m=111231348429934&w=2

James W. has some good advice for work-arounds.

Scott