cannot install Redhat Linux

Phil Schaffner Philip.R.Schaffner at NASA.GOV
Tue Aug 2 20:03:41 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 13:02 -0500, Hongyu Sun wrote:
> My comptuer is from Dell.
>
> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4600/en/4600/sm/specs.htm#1084976
>
> It has 512MB memory. one whole piece of 80GB hard drive from which
> Windows use 70GB. For the 70GB I partitioned it to C: drive for
> Windows OS

Presumably /dev/hda1

> D: drive for data

Guessing /dev/hda2

>  and some small left-over space for
> nothing.

That's likely /dev/hda3

> What I saw in the fedora installation, the 10GB is called like
> /dev/sda4

>From your other message, /dev/hda4

> I only format this whole 10GB to ext3 and mount it to /
>
> I cannot split the 10GB so that I could mount a part to /boot and
> create a SWAP.

That's because you have used all 4 partition slots for primary
partitions.  You will need to leave at least one slot for an extended
partition.  Delete /dev/hda4, and if possible /dev/hda3 (the "nothing"
partition), by booting from the installation disk and switching to
virtual console 2 with Ctrl-Alt-F2 after the GUI starts, but before
getting to the partitioning stage, and using fdisk.

> But in manual, at least three partitions are needed: /, /boot and SWAP

The installer should be able to do that for you if you give it some
freedom to use the partition table.

Please do not top-post.

Phil