driver for Dell 922 printer under FC4?

Berna Massingill bmassing at cs.trinity.edu
Tue Aug 2 20:32:04 UTC 2005

>>  Berna Massingill wrote:
>>  >I'm trying to set up a newly-purchased Dell Dimension machine,
>>  >which came with a printer/copier/scanner.  The owner's manual
>>  >calls it a "Dell Photo All-In-One Printer 922".  When I run
>>  >system-config-printer (which I had been told was a reasonable way
>>  >to start), I get the following error messages:
>>  >
>>  >No match for USB device:
>>  >  mfr "Dell "
>>  >  model "Photo AIO 922"
>>  >  desc "Dell Photo AIO Printer 922"
>>  >  cmdset "CPDNPA003"
>>  >
>>  >Does this mean Linux can't find a driver for the printer?
>>  >Dell's Web site has only Windows drivers.  A quick Google search
>>  >turns up several people asking about support for this printer
>>  >under Linux, but no answer.
>>  >
>>  >What now?  (Was I insufficiently paranoid in checking for
>>  >hardware compatibility before buying this thing?  It was a
>>  >really good deal pricewise .... )
>>  >
>>  >-- blm
>>  >

>>  Berna:
>>  You might post to the general forum at www.linuxprinting.org. IIRC, many
>>   (some/all?) Dell printers are actually made by Lexmark so that it may
>>  be possible to use a Lexmark driver. Or not.

Thanks!

The bad news is that www.linuxprinting.org is moderately scathing about
the variety of printer I appear to have.  I wish I'd known about that
site while I was picking out hardware.  Useful for next time, though.

Before posting a query, I did some more Googling, with Lexmark added to
the search terms.  In the hopes that this partial paper (?) trail will
help someone else ....:

I found a claim that the printer I have is actually a Lexmark x5270:

  http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,117556,00.asp

and a suggestion that maybe it would work to use the Lexmark x5250
drivers:

  http://www.linuxprinting.org/pipermail/lexmark-list/2005q2/002943.html

which seem to be available here:

  http://www.lexmark.com/US/products/info/linux/download_v2.html

I obtained the RPM from that site and installed it, but I'm not
quite sure how to proceed from there.  The instructions seem to
mostly focus on building/installing a scanner driver, and right now
I'd be content just to have the printer work.  I'm not sure how to
make a connection between the files from the RPM (listed below,
somewhat summarized) and the process for configuring a printer
(system-config-printer, right??).

Files from RPM:

  /usr/include/lexmark-H/*.h
  /usr/lib/liblexx5250printer.a
  /usr/lib/liblexx5250printer.la
  /usr/lib/liblexx5250printer.so
  /usr/lib/liblexx5250printer.so.0
  /usr/lib/liblexx5250printer.so.0.0.0
  /usr/lib/liblexx5250printjob.a
  /usr/lib/liblexx5250printjob.la
  /usr/lib/liblexx5250printjob.so
  /usr/lib/liblexx5250printjob.so.0
  /usr/lib/liblexx5250printjob.so.0.0.0
  /usr/lib/liblexx5250scanner.a
  /usr/lib/liblexx5250scanner.la
  /usr/lib/liblexx5250scanner.so
  /usr/lib/liblexx5250scanner.so.0
  /usr/lib/liblexx5250scanner.so.0.0.0
  /usr/lib/liblxbtflib.so
  /usr/lib/liblxbthpec.so
  /usr/lib/liblxbthpeh.so
  /usr/lib/liblxbthpep.so
  /usr/local/x5250llpddk/utility/*.out
  /usr/local/x5250llpddk/utility/*.lut

I may be in way over my head, but help in figuring out what to do
next would be appreciated.

-- blm