cannot install Redhat Linux

Thomas Springer th.springer at gmx.net
Tue Aug 2 20:42:37 UTC 2005

> sorry the partition (for linux) name is /dev/hda4.
>

> > My comptuer is from Dell.
> >
> > http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4600/en/4600/sm/specs.htm#1084976
> >
> > It has 512MB memory. one whole piece of 80GB hard drive from which
> > Windows use 70GB. For the 70GB I partitioned it to C: drive for
> > Windows OS, D: drive for data and some small left-over space for
> > nothing.
> >
> > What I saw in the fedora installation, the 10GB is called like
> > /dev/sda4
> >
> > I only format this whole 10GB to ext3 and mount it to /
> >
> > I cannot split the 10GB so that I could mount a part to /boot and
> > create a SWAP.

This should work:

* hda1  /      ext3   *MB   primary
* hda3  /boot  ext3   16MB  logical (on extended partition hda2)
* swap        <swap>  *MB   logical (on extended partition hda2)

or simular.

> > But in manual, at least three partitions are needed: /, /boot and
> > SWAP

...three partitions is highly recommanded, though you could
also use a swapfile later for vm.

> Another question is how to set the double boot mode? It seems in the
> installation I set up this. But it just does not work at all.

...didn't you install GRUB in MBR ?

> > Anyway, thanks a lot,
> >
> > HS

...boot in rescue mode with distro-cd1 and let anaconda find linux.
Perhaps it's just necessary to install grub.

Thomas