nscd is crashing

Robin Mordasiewicz robin at bullseye.tv
Tue Aug 2 20:54:53 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005, Robin Mordasiewicz wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Aug 2005, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
>> Robin Mordasiewicz wrote:
>>> I am using fedora core 4 x86_64 and this mornign nscd is crashing with
>>> the following error.
>>
>> There are definitely issues with the ldap module.  If I'd have the time
>> this would be the first to be rewritten since it causes no end of
>> problems.
>>
>> These problems are increased because of the persistent cache..  If a
>> crash happens at the wrong time the cache is inconsistent.  We currently
>> have no checks for this and therefore nscd might crash right away again.
>>
>> So, remove the cache files in /var/db/nscd/ and restart.  We'll have
>> something to do this automatically (or at least ignore broken files) in
>> future.
>
> woo-hoo, thanks. Deleting the cache and restarting worked.
> I will add this to a maintenance routine.

logging in via ssh now does work, but while trying to join a windows
computer to a samba domain now makes it crash.

This is the resuilts of "nscd -d" while trying to join a comuter to the
domain.

[root at pdc nscd]# nscd -d
9451: handle_request: request received (Version = 2) from PID 9477
9451:   SHUTDOWN