making Samba work

Phil Schaffner Philip.R.Schaffner at NASA.GOV
Tue Aug 2 21:03:50 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 16:38 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
... snip ...
> After making the changes you suggest in your last paragraph and
> rebooting, I get this in the log:
>
> [2005/08/02 16:16:31, 0] smbd/negprot.c:reply_nt1(293)

Seems you've been running Windows too long.  :-)  A reboot of a Linux
system is almost never necessary, except for new kernels and arguably
glibc updates.  Should suffice to do "service smb restart" after
changing Samba configuration, and even that may be unnecessary.

... snip ...

> There's some progress, however. I now have access from my Windows machine, the
> above referenced machine in the smbd.log 'StudyPC' to my shared folder on the
> Fedora machine. The Fedora machine still can't see the Windows machine, tho.

How have you tried to "see" the windows machine?  How about
"smbclient -L StudyPC" or
"smbclient //StudyPC/<Share-name-on-StudyPC>"?

Phil