making Samba work

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Tue Aug 2 23:25:35 UTC 2005

On Tue August 2 2005 7:08 pm, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Mi, den 03.08.2005 schrieb Claude Jones um 1:02:
> > Ok - I learned something. My resolve.conf file:
> >
> > search com
> > nameserver 69.31.31.2
> > nameserver 64.202.97.2
>
> bingo :)

yes, but what did I win? ;-)
> > I couldn't find a man page or other info on this file, but am I guessing
> > correctly that this an instruction for DNS lookups? The first value
> > suggests appending a .com to a search term?
>
> man 5 resolv.conf
>
> $ rpm -qf /usr/share/man/man5/resolv.conf.5.gz
> man-pages-1.66-2
>   (this is my FC2 here - should be on actual Fedora not different)
I did find the man page (I was misspelling resolv.conf - you can guess how),
but, I'm not sure what to do about this, if anything should be done? Will
correcting something here, help my FC4 box see my Windoz boxes? It seems like
the big problem derives from the following example error in the smb logfile:

[2005/08/02 16:16:31, 0] smbd/negprot.c:reply_nt1(293)
  reply_nt1: smb signing is incompatible with share level security !

I've been trying to figure out what smb signing is about, but the
documentation isn't too helpful - I found one suggestion to delete the
security line, and one to change it to user!

I just want to share one folder on my FC4 machine to my Windows boxes, which I
can now do, and I want my FC4 box to have access to my Windows machines -
pretty much everything there.

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA