cannot install Redhat Linux

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Aug 3 01:17:58 UTC 2005

Hongyu Sun wrote:

>HI, All:
>
>I downloaded and burned 4 CDs from
>http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html.
>
>Then I tried to install Linux to my WinXP desktop machine. I have 10GB
>on this machine which is pre-allocated for Linux before I install the
>WinXP. Windows cannot see this 10GB.

You could install programs where you can read and maybe even write linux
partitions from Windows. By default windows doesn't know about Linux
partitions.

>I have been frustrated with installation. I have installed several
>times. But each time when I restart, I enter in Windows. I cannot see
>any trace of Linux.

Later on in your post you mention /dev/sda4 as a partition. You might
try to boot disk 1 and type linux rescue at the prompt. Once the rescue
mode is started, the installer *should* find your new installation.  You
should get a prompt telling you that your installation was mounted as
/mnt/sysimage and you need to type chroot /mnt/sysimage to access the
distribution.
Since you might have /dev/hda as th place grub was installed, it might
not have installed grub in /dev/sda where it sounds like the location
grub should have been installed.
Run "grub-install /dev/sda"  and see if your system will boot into Linux
on the next shot. Type reboot and press enter and your system should rebot.

>I have some questions on the installation. The automatic partition
>does not work. And I had to use manual partition. Since I have that
>10GB. I just chose it and mount it as "\" (root).

Should be / (root). If you are trying to setup an LVM instead of just
one partition formatted as ext3, it will not boot. /boot needs to be
outside the LVM.

> Since a root is
>required. I cannot partition the suggested swap disk. It just does not
>work for me. I don't know what format I should format the disk. But
>the only one working is "ext3".

10 gig is a bit small for a modern Linux installation. Ext3 is a common
choice for Fedora.

>Another question is how to set the double boot mode? It seems in the
>installation I set up this. But it just does not work at all.

Fedora usually has your M$ installation detected and added as a boot
choice if any bootable M$ system is instaled on your computer. I believe
the choice is called other by default and can be changed to DOS, ME, XP
or any other desired name.

>Finally it said the installation is complete and I can reboot. But I
>am entered to Windows again.

This is probably because it "installed" grub (the boot loader which
allows you to choose alternative OS and also boots kernel for Linux with
instructions to kernel/system.) It sounds like /dev/sda is where grub
should be installed.

>I cannot find any documentation on the installation. Somebody told me,
>Redhat is good for beginners. But I still cannot follow.

If you view the Linux CD in windows, you should see release notes and
other documentation.

>Your help will be highly appreciated.
>
>Thank you very much,
>
>HS

I hope that  I'm not misleading you here. Viewing this original posting,
I don't see mention of /dev/sda4 on your part. I read the thread before
posting and assumed the input was from you.

Anyways, this list will  get you on your way to using Linux. I think
that there might be easier for beginners distributions of Linux, though
Fedora is pretty  easy to use also.

Welcome,

Jim

--
I'm sorry a pentium won't do, you need an SGI to connect with us.