Adding printer in FC4 - radical suggestion

André Fettouhi Andre.Fettouhi at exp2.physik.uni-giessen.de
Wed Aug 10 09:14:19 UTC 2005

> Hello,
>
> On Tuesday 02 August 2005 08:06, Andr? Fettouhi wrote:
> > I am trying to add our network printer (HP Laserjet 4100) on my newly
> > installed FC4 box (P4 3.0 GHz). Adding the printer in itself is no
> > problem at it works afterwards without a problem. Now the problem is if
> > I shut down the PC or do a restart then I have to add it again. For some
> > reason FC4 doesn't remember it. Can anybody tell me why this is happening.
>
> Not sure what cause this, but I have had similar problem with
> system-config-printer in FC 4 too. It's really buggy IMO. I would set up a
> printer system-config-printer but it would not show up
> in /etc/cups/printers.conf (and in any application for that matter).
>
> Maybe try the following:
> 1. set up your printer
> 2. run this command from terminal:
> /usr/sbin/printconf-backend --force-rebuild
> 3. Restart cups :
> /sbin/service cups restart
>
> Then check to see if your printer is in /etc/cups/printers.conf:
> grep URI /etc/cups/printers.conf
>
> You should see your printer listed there. If it is, then you should be fine.

The time has come to upgrade our thinking about printers. Since we are
using cups system-config-printer needs to be put on the back shelf.
Go to the CUPS web interface http://localhost:631 and use it to
configure your printers. At the same time print pout the CUPS user and
CUPS system administrators documentation and learn how to use the
command line configuration tools of cups.

I recently tried to configure a lab with 50 machines and a print-server
using system-config-printer. After screwing up royally I used the CUPS
interface and things worked out form the get go.

Let me tell you one thing to convince you that this is the way to go.
You want to have a client to print to a print server. How do you do
it? You do nothing. Just print from the client and it finds the
server.

I tried that twice now configuring the printer from the webhost (http://localhost:631) but the result is still the same.
When I restart the printer is gone I checked printers.conf but it is empty. Anybody know how add it manually in printers.conf?
If I don't find a solution soon I will file a bug report about cups and system-config-printer. Could it be an issue with selinux?

Kind Regards

André Fettouhi

The wages of sin are unreported.
Aaron Konstam