Newbie: Writing console messages to a file FC2 2.6.5

Clive at Rational clive at rational-communications.com
Wed Aug 3 09:27:20 UTC 2005

> From: Tony Nelson <tonynelson georgeanelson com>

>>I have tried various levels of FC2 (latest kernels)
and
>>FC3 up to 2.6.10 kernel. Of those the most stable
>>(longest time between "crashes" = 1 day) is the FC2
>> 2.6.5 kernel. However, today the crashing seems to
>> occur within 30 minutes. Maybe it is a hardware
>> problem but I have no idea how to isolate. ...

> Run another OS, say, Memtest86 from a (vdos?)
> floppy, or Knoppix from a CD.
> I'd start with Memtest86.

Hi,

I ran memtest86 from a floopy and it is reporting high
numbers of memory test failures. I ran the same
program on a stable machine and that has shown no
memory errors.

I am going to see if I have some spare, suitable
memory I can swap, and maybe invest in some new memory
- in the hope the memory is the problem and I am not
throwing good money after bad

Thanks,

Clive