The right way to automatically load kernel module sg.o

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Aug 3 12:27:18 UTC 2005

StarQuake wrote:
> What is The Right Way(TM) to automatically load the kernel module sg?
>
> It somehow feels wrong to put a 'modprobe sg' in /etc/rc.local

On FC4, I use a script /etc/sysconfig/modules/scanner.modules that contains:

#!/bin/bash

# load the sg module, required for the scanner

# Source function library.
. /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

action "Loading scsi-generic module for scanner" \
	modprobe --first-time --syslog sg 2>/dev/null

This won't work on FC < 4. The script has to live in directory
/etc/sysconfig/modules, have a name ending in .modules, and be executable.

Paul.