Yum Problems on FC4 x86_64

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 15:11:31 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-03 at 09:21, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 12:01:03 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>
> > Some of the documentation I have seen seems to suggest
> > that livna is an official repository,
> > but I don't think of it that way.
>
> Whatever documentation you have read, it explained the situation
> incorrectly. The infrastructure at livna.org does not belong to the Fedora
> Project. It's an open 3rd party community project, with some of the
> contributors supporting both Fedora Extras and rpm.livna.org. What may be
> at least a bit special, is that at rpm.livna.org it is tried as much as
> possible to play nice with Core and Extras and not upgrade, rename or
> replace any packages from Core or Extras. The rare exception being
> applications, which cannot be extended with plugins, e.g. Audacity.
> Conflicts shall never happen and would be a bug (http://bugzilla.livna.org).

While there is no relationship between the organizations/projects (and
can't be for obvious reasons), the livna repository not only 'plays
nice' with the official core/extra repositories but it requires you
to use them because packages that exist in core/extras aren't duplicated
at livna and are often dependencies in the livna packages.  I'm not
quite sure why the other 3rd party repositories don't work that way
too.  I understand it with earlier releases where there are
compatibility problems with pre-existing packages, but at this point
what justification is there for anyone to build a package that
conflicts with core/extras?

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com