Upgrade RedHat 9 to Fedora

sudo Yang sudoyang at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 16:49:47 UTC 2005

On 8/3/05, Tony Nelson <tonynelson at georgeanelson.com> wrote:
> At 11:43 PM -0700 8/2/05, sudo Yang wrote:
> >What would be the easiest way to upgrade 2000 servers from RedHat 9 to
> >Fedora or RedHat Enterprise/CentOS?  Also, 1/2 of these systems have 1
> >TB data partition that cannot be destroyed.
> >
> >Would an upgrade option work via Kickstart?
>
> Holy Cr*p!  Why would you take the risk?  Leave it alone!  You can upgrade
> to RHEL over the next few years one machine at a time as each machine is
> replaced.
>
> You certainly should make a backup first.  If you can't manage that, you
> should not proceed.  Note that a backup is any "safe" /copy/ of the data;
> if you plan on destroying the original, the one copy becomes the "original"
> and you need another copy for a backup.

Yes, we have redundancy in the system.  Any any one time, there's
always 2-3 copies of the data.  We are planning to upgrade one system
at a time, even if kickstart is used.  Kickstart will be used mainly
for automation and repeatability.

> I don't know if you have 1000 TB of data, or 1000 systems that share copies
> of the same 1 TB of data.  The second case is much easier to handle.  The
> first case requires doing each machine separately, taking care that no data
> is lost from any machine.  Hopefully you have some form of redundancy in
> the system already.

That's 1000 systems each holding 1 TB of data, so yes, 1000 TB.