HP Color Laserjet 2600N; printer recommendation

Matt Morgan minxmertzmomo at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 17:04:42 UTC 2005

On 7/31/05, Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org> wrote:
> Am So, den 31.07.2005 schrieb Matt Morgan um 17:11:
>
> > I have an HP Color Laserjet 2600N. In a lot of ways it's a great
> > printer--color, laser, cheap (~$400US), built-in networking. But, as
> > far as I can tell, it's not at all linux-compatible (unlike other
> > HP's).
>
> It is a "crippled" printer, a GDI one. It does neither know PCL nor
> PostScript.

Well that's irritating. I have never had trouble with HP before.

> If you use a Windows(r) host as print server then set up a raw print queue
> in Cups and let the Windows(r) host render the pages with it's driver.

I had trouble with that, too, although I might have just done
something wrong. In the end I decided to switch to an HP 2550 with an
external print server, so I can skip going through the Windows host
(it's a desktop, and I don't want to turn it on every time I print).

Thanks to everyone for the help!