VMware and kernel 2.6.12

Marcelo Magno T. Sales marcelo.sales at sefaz.pe.gov.br
Wed Aug 3 17:23:26 UTC 2005

Em Qua, 2005-08-03 às 11:03 -0600, kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com
escreveu:
> On Wednesday 03 August 2005 10:44, Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:
> > Hi, people
> >
> > Has anyone successfully installed VMware 5 WITH networking on kernel
> > 2.6.12? I had it working flawlessly on many releases of kernel 2.6.11,
> > but can't get it to work on 2.6.12. I've tried on FC3 and FC4 with the
> > same results.
> > After running vmware-config.pl, vmnet0 (bridged) won't start. After
> > that, any attempt to re-run vmware-config.pl causes it to freeze. If I
> > reboot the computer, running vmware displays a message stating it has
> > not been configured for the running kernel and if I run vmware-config.pl
> > again, I'm back to the beginning (vmnet0 won't start).
> > If I do not install networking support when running vmware-config.pl,
> > vmware works ok (without any kind of networking, of course).
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Marcelo
>

> Hi Marcelo ;
>
> I just got it working today on FC3 running kernel 2.6.12-1.1372_FC3. Here's
> what I did:
>
> 1) I removed all remnants of Vmware (rpm -e VMwareWorkstation-5.0.0-13124)
> 2) I installed the vmware v5 rpm (rpm -ihv VMwareWorkstation-5.0.0-13124)
> 3) I downloaded the latest any-any patch from http://ftp.cvut.cz/vmware/
> (download the  vmware-any-any-update93.tar.gz file)
> 4) I untar'd the file (tar -xzvf  vmware-any-any-update93.tar.gz)
> 5) Next I ran the patch (./vmware-any-any-update93/runme.pl) When I was
> prompted if I want the script to start the /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl script
> for me I choose NO because the first run through I said yes and it caused
> lots of problems starting with a hung process and ending with removing vmware
> and starting over.
> 6) then I ran /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl from the command line myself
> 7) I choose to allow bridget networking to eth0, no NAT networking and no host
> only networking.
>
> It works fine. The only bit I wish I could make work is networking via my
> wireless connection (eth1). If anyone knows how to do this I would be
> grateful for any advice....
>
> Hope this helps...
>
> /Kevin

Hi, Kevin. Thanks for the step-by-step, I'll try it tonight and post the
results tomorrow. About your question, I did not see an easy way to
configure this on the Linux version of VMware. The Windows version have
an option to select the interface to bind to vmnet0, but the Linux
version do not. However, maybe you can edit /etc/modprobe.conf and
switch the aliases of the two boards, making the wireless one to be
eth0. vmware-config.pl always bridges vmnet0 to eth0, so it might work.

Thanks,

Marcelo