making Samba work [Solved]

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Wed Aug 3 17:55:48 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 03 August 2005 12:01 pm, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> Probably you did specify "com" as your domain part and the Fedora tools
> then add it as search entry to resolv.conf. If your domain used in the
> LAN is "levitjames.com" instead you should change the "search" entry
> accordingly to be "search levitjames.com". So hosts like
> "studypc.levitjames.com" will be found by short hostname "studypc".

This whole area of networking continues to pose questions I haven't really
resolved. The problem stems from Microsoft's confusing nomenclature.
Microsoft uses 'domain' to describe a lan network topology interchangeably
with the more widespread use of the term with it's different connotations
when applied to internet domains - the two uses of the term don't always
describe identically behaved constructs, so Microsoft's documentation has led
to confusion over the years. Can I accurately depict my home network as a
'domain' if all my FC4 box is doing is dhcp and routing to the internet? If
that is all it's doing, is it correct to call the box
viewridgeproductions2.com? My box is on the internet, but it's just an IP
address - there's no domain registered to viewridgeproductions2.com, and if
you try to get to me using that address, you'll arrive on the moon...

> No, "server signing" makes only sense if with other security setups. So
> the error message is valid, but the setting should do no harm besides
> filling the log.

ok - got it

> 137/udp, 138/udp, 139/tcp and 445/tcp are enough. Maybe something with
> the logic of your iptables ruleset is not like it should be? Could be
> helpful if you show us your ruleset from /etc/sysconfig/iptables or how
> you did it different.

I could post the ruleset, but it will have to be later - I'm at work for
several more hours
> Btw. it can be helpful to run a WINS in your network if you see that it
> takes long time (up to 12 minutes) until SMB hosts like the Samba
> machine appear in network browsing.

Now this is interesting - this could account for some anomalous behavior I
noticed while trying to fix things - it seemed like occasionally, after
trying something, if I got distracted, or took a particularly long time, then
the SMB shares would start 'appearing' - are you suggesting that I run WINS
on the FC4 box? I ask, but, the answer seems obvious - where else would I run
it?

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA