CD burning using K3b 0.11.23 or x-cd-roast 0.98alpha15 under FC4 2.6.12

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Wed Aug 3 22:12:29 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-03 at 22:50 +0100, Clive at Rational wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    I upgraded from FC2 to FC4 after being helped by
> this mailing list to (hopefully finally) isolating
> machine failure to bad memory (using memtest86 as
> diagnostic tool).
>
>    Basically I can't get x-cdroast 0.98alpha15 to work
> in FC4 yet K3b 0.11.23 works without a problem
>
>     The x-cdroast trying to blank a cd-rw, says the
> cd-rw is "busy", retries a few times, then gives up.
>
>     K3b had no problems blanking the same cd-rw. One
> of the messgaes given by K3b is that it is unmounting
> the CD-RW and this may be the problem in x-cdroast -
> although I never had this "busy" problem with previous
> version of Fedora.
>
>     This all seems very strange as I believe they are
> both front ends to cdrecord - I may be wrong in that
> idea though.
>
>     Also writing CD-RW is a whole lot easier to set up
> using k3b - none of this setup of hard disk
> directories as in x-cdroast. With K3b, Just drag and
> drop the files you want on the CD-RW and a little
> progress bar at the bottom shows how much of the
> available space on the CD-RW has been used. Press
> "burn" and it all happens.
>
>    So far, the change to K3B has been painless and K3b
> seems easier to use and more reliable than x-cdroast.
>
>    Strangley, the K3b "system check" indicates cdrdao
> is not installed and claims this is necessary for
> cd-writing. I tried a "yum install" on cdrdao but this
> product was not found. So I tried the burning of a
> CD-RW anyway without this installed - and it seems to
> have created a readable CD fine.

Nice story, similar to mine.  Did you have a question?

AIUI x-cdroast is not the official package for FC4 and in my experience
it has not kept pace with the distro.  I switched to k3b about a year
ago and have not gone back because of the problems with it since the 2.6
kernel came out.
(I used x-cdroast when I was using RH9.)