Palmpilot sync problems with both kpilot, jpilot, pilot-sync, ...

William W. Austin waustin at speakeasy.net
Thu Aug 4 00:22:40 UTC 2005

About a week ago, suddenly my palm pilot (tungsten t3) stopped sync'ing
with one of my computers (usb cradle).  I checked the cradle, the
cables, the power, the connectors on the palm pilot, etc. - everything
was fine.  Running usbview the device shows up normally.  Nothing
unusual in /var/log/messages and dmesg showed nothing odd.  I had done
no new rpms for a couple of weeks, so I was at a loss.  /dev/ttyUSB[01]
were both created as normal, and one was linked to /dev/pilot.

I finally decided it might be a permissions problem, so I tried again
as root.  Same deal - usbview sees the device, and the devices get
created.  But no sync.

But since I could still sync with no problems at home, I didn't pursue
the matter (very busy at work - new project with an impossible due date
and no time to work on anything else).

Then Monday the same thing started happening at home as well.  So I
thought it was my palm pilot.  But no, it can sync correctly with the
same computer and in the same cradle if I boot to windoze.  (But I had
updated several RPMS at home, so there could be something there,
although since the problem now occurs on 2 different boxen, I doubt
that this is the cause).  FWIW, it can also sync with my wife's laptop
on her usb cradle (windoze again).

Any suggestions on how to debug this problem would be greatly
appreciated.  I have RTFM'ed until I had exhausted everything I could
find.

Please help if you think you have an idea on this one.

Thanks,

William W. Austin                                 waustin at speakeasy.net
  "Life is just another phase I'm going through. this time, anyway ..."