CD burning using K3b 0.11.23 or x-cd-roast 0.98alpha15 under FC4 2.6.12

Clive at Rational clive at rational-communications.com
Thu Aug 4 08:12:41 UTC 2005

> > Hi,
> >
> >    I upgraded from FC2 to FC4 after being helped
by
> > this mailing list to (hopefully finally) isolating
> > machine failure to bad memory (using memtest86 as
> > diagnostic tool).
> >
> >    Basically I can't get x-cdroast 0.98alpha15 to
> work
> > in FC4 yet K3b 0.11.23 works without a problem
> >

> Nice story, similar to mine.  Did you have a
> question?

Good point. The purpose of the posting was mainly to
make other people aware of my experience with
x-cdroast and K3b so if they experience the same
problem as me .....

>>  The x-cdroast trying to blank a cd-rw, says the
>> cd-rw is "busy", retries a few times, then gives
up.

> > K3b had no problems blanking the same cd-rw.

.... rather than waste lots of time trying to
understand why, there is a pretty straightforward
"work-around" (using K3b) that has other benefits in
terms of usability.

    There may well be a straightforward "fix" for
x-cdroast, the "problem" may be down to my use of the
product. It's just I don't have the Unix technical
skills to sort it out.

> AIUI x-cdroast is not the official package for FC4
> and in my experience
> it has not kept pace with the distro.  I switched to
> k3b about a year
> ago and have not gone back because of the problems
> with it (x-cdroast) since the 2.6
> kernel came out.
> (I used x-cdroast when I was using RH9.)

Thanks. I was not aware x-cdroast was not the standard
with Fedora 4. I had assumed it was because 1) at the
time I started using it, it was the only CD-burning UI
I could find and 2) of the time I spent trying to
understand how to use it!

I have found an alternative K3b that works reliably
(so far) for me.

Best wishes,

Clive