Newbie: Upgraded FC2 to FC4 2.6.12. Lost lots of applications on Gnome launcher

Clive at Rational clive at rational-communications.com
Thu Aug 4 08:47:38 UTC 2005

Hello,

   IS the following expected behaviour?

   In the FC4 Gnome environment I "lost" from the
"panel" (3 examples)

1) No application launcher / main menu (a bit like
Windows "start") - I manually re-instated it.

2) No Internet browser (in fact only Evolution) in the
"internet" option under the Main Menu. I reinstated
Mozilla launcher directly on the panel.

3) No "application status" under "System Tools" - to
list the applications that form part of the
distribution - and which are installed. I used this to
select new applications to install. After they
installed, usually the "launch button" appeared under
the Main Menu.

  Maybe these are planned changes - I just know there
is a lot of manual work to re-instate application
launchers on my Gnome desktop - and I don't know what
applications are installed on the machine. This "loss
of buttons" is more than cosmetic. For a user like me
because if the "lost" application launcher had
parameters or switch settings ("--something" or
"%something" else) "within" the application "launch
button", these are now lost in FC4. Bit of a backward
step IMO.

Clive