Silly Question

Tony Molloy tony.molloy at ul.ie
Thu Aug 4 15:12:20 UTC 2005

On Thursday 04 August 2005 15:51, Paul F. Johnson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Okay, Fedora Core is a distribution, got it clear as rain. Linux, by
> > comparison, would be the Windows equivalent of that crazy
> > kernel32.dll.
>
> > It's the relationship between GNOME and Xwindows that I don't get?

Let's see.

Linux is the kernel of the operating system. It looks after the hardware
and scheduling and all that kind of stuff. It is a modular system unlike
Mic$osoft Windows.

X is a basic windowing system which runs on Unix/Linux. It provides a
basic windowing API. XFree-86 and xorg are two implementations of X.
Fedora uses xorg.

Gnome is a windows environment built on top of X. It provides panels,
launchers a window manager and lots of other goodies. There are other
window environments available eg. KDE. and lots of other window managers
such a Xfce.

Fedora Core is a Linux distribution. I includes the Linux kernel, an X
implementation xorg, some window environments Gnome and KDE, and lots of
other goodies.

Hope that helps,

Tony

--