cannot install Redhat Linux

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 4 15:48:45 UTC 2005

Hongyu Sun wrote:
> On 8/2/05, Jim Cornette <fc-cornette at insight.rr.com> wrote:

[snip]

> What is the difference between /dev/sda4 and /dev/hda4? Sorry I had a
> typo. Should be hda

OOPS! My earlier answer was incomplete.

hda : IDE hard disc 1

hda1 : First partition of IDE hard disc 1
hda4 : Fourth partition of IDE hard disc 1
hdd3 : Third partition of IDE hard disc 4

sda4 : Fourth partition of SCSI disc 1

First letter:  h = IDE hard disc, s = SCSI hard disc
Second letter: d
Third letter:  a = first drive of that type, b = second, etc.
Number:        1 = first partition, 2 = second partition, etc.

So the names are a little bit conflated. "hda" is the name of
a disc, while "hda1" is the name of a partition. Not the same
thing, but hopefully not too confusing, either.

Note that these names are peculiar to Linux, and other OSs and
boot loaders use different naming conventions. For example,
Free BSD talks about "slices", not "partitions". GRUB uses
a completely different name scheme. If you install GRUB, then
eventually you'll need to learn how it names devices.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.