cups port problem.

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Thu Aug 4 21:45:28 UTC 2005

On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 08:20:21PM +0200, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Do, den 04.08.2005 schrieb akonstam at trinity.edu um 20:23:
>

> > Indicating that cupsd is listening on that port.
> > Running: nmap -sT -O localhost |grep 631
> > 631/tcp   open  ipp
> >  And on the server I can telnet localhost 631 and it connects.
>
> Is to be expected from netstat output.
>
> >  However from a client when I run: nmap -sT -O sol |grep 631
> >  from a client (sol is  our server) the 631 entry does not appear and in
> >  fact when I telnet to the server at port 631 the connection is
> >  refused.
>
> This is to be expected from netstat output too.
>
> nmap --help --> -sT TCP connect() port scan (default for unprivileged
> users)
>
> So you test TCP with that, but port 631 TCP is bound to localhost only.
> You would need to run "nmap -sU -p 631" against the cups server host to
> get a proper result.
>
> >  One would hope that somewhere in the cupsd.conf there is a line that
> >  opens that port for access from other machines. Anyone know how to
> >  open that port or what that line is in the configuration file.
> >  There is no firewall involved here.
>
> Find the "Listen" line(s) in your /etc/cups/cupsd.conf. Make sure it is
> not only
>
> Listen 127.0.0.1:631
>
> but too
>
> Listen <non local IP>:631
>
> Be sure that IP's net or at least the client's IP appears too in the
> "Allow From" statements.

I thank everyone who se me straight on the matter of getting cupsd to
listen to a machine other that localhost. This allowed me to get cups
woking correctly aqnd implimenting the automatic configuration of
printers on client machines, I reinterate that htis is the way to go
when you have 50 clients. Not only is system-config-printer not as
useful to do this in FC4 it must be disabled if you intend to use it
togethre with printers like the HP 3500 which must be configured
through the CUPS web interface.

I am really drained now bit I intend to post the horror story I have
been living to get our printers configured.

Better tried by twelve than carried by six.
		-- Jeff Cooper
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University