US Federal Government to require MSIE for copyright preregistration

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 5 03:28:40 UTC 2005

<http://www.copyright.gov/fedreg/2005/70fr44878.html>:

> [...]
> preregistration procedures must be
> > in place by October 24, 2005. 17 U.S.C. 408(f)(1).
> To comply with this time
> > frame and to facilitate efficient processing of
> preregistration claims,
> > inter alia, the proposed rule calls for filing
> such claims by electronic
> > means only. At this point in the process of
> >
> > [[Page 44879]]
> >
> > developing the Copyright Office's system for
> online preregistration, it is
> > not entirely clear whether the system will be
> compatible with web browsers
> > other than Microsoft Internet Explorer versions
> 5.1 and higher. Filers of
> > preregistration applications will be able to
> employ these Internet Explorer
> > browsers successfully. Support for Netscape 7.2,
> Firefox 1.0.3, and Mozilla
> > 1.7.7 is planned but will not be available when
> preregistration goes into
> > effect. Present users of these browsers may
> experience problems when filing
> > claims.
> >
> > In order to ensure that preregistration can be
> implemented in a smoothly
> > functioning and timely manner, the Office now
> seeks comments that will
> > assist it in determining whether any eligible
> parties will be prevented
> > from preregistering a claim due to browser
> requirements of the
> > preregistration system. Therefore, this notice
> seeks information whether
> > any potential preregistration filers would have
> difficulties using Internet
> > Explorer (version 5.1 or higher) to file
> preregistration claims, and if so,
> > why. More generally, in the interest of achieving
> support for browsers in
> > the Office's preregistration processing
> environment, this notice inquires
> > whether (and why) an eligible party who
> anticipates preregistering a claim
> > on the electronic-only form will not be able to
> use Internet Explorer to do
> > so, or will choose not to preregister if it is
> necessary to use Internet
> > Explorer.
> >
> > The Office requests that responses to this
> supplemental notice of inquiry
> > be made part of the responders' comments on the
> July 22nd Notice of
> > Proposed Rulemaking. Whether or not accompanied by
> comments on the proposed
> > rule, the response to this notice of inquiry
> should be submitted by the due
> > dates for comment on the Notice of Proposed
> Rulemaking, i.e., no later than
> > August 22, 2005, with reply comments due no later
> than September 7, 2005.
> >

> > Dated: August 1, 2005.
> > Tanya Sandros,
> > Associate General Counsel.

> > TonyN.:'
> <mailto:tonynelson at georgeanelson.com>
> >       '
> <http://www.georgeanelson.com/>
> >

> I just wrote this letter to them. Let's see what
> they have to say.
> "Why do you require Internet Explorer to
=== message truncated ===
I agree with you but in the case that they do not
listen.  We can

1)  Try the User Agent Switcher and still use
mozilla/mozilla firefox.
http://useragentswitcher.mozdev.org/

2)  In the case that it does not work.  Install IE on
top of wine with sidenet config or WineTools.

Kind Regards,

Antonio