Silly Question

Anil Kumar Sharma xplusaks at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 11:26:20 UTC 2005

Further simple complexity is that you may be running more than one instances
of GUI on same ^machine^ and switching between them by hot keys Ctrl+Alt+F7
-F8 -F9 -F10 and -F11.These can be GUI consoles of your choice KDE/Gnome/etc
running simultaneously as different/same(caution) users and a few of them
may be running remote applications / providing remote logins and all of them
may have multiple desktops. So U may think, feel, and be rich......well not
really unless U have a pretty / decently fast machine else power of runlevel
1 is also awesome .... depends on on u do with it, ...well I am learning.
Not satisfied yet ....OK you can have multihead displays, multiple
processors, Multiple boxes housing motherboards/processors/
RAMS/storage/andwhatnot..... You may also have multiple keyboards and mice
attached if U have biomachines (people).
 We are not talking network - this is one kernel i.e. only one ^opsys^ and
that is what I understand LINUX ( oops *nix) to be.
Lets say Thanks to Linus Torvalds (or shall we also say so to the Gurus of
__).
 PS: it can emulate your **favorite GUIdos also somewhere in those many
consoles. Please don't laugh, it is trillion $ industry - only smiles
please.
  On 8/5/05, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/4/05, Harol Hunter <dicoe at infomed.sld.cu> wrote:
> > The problem is that Windows has the windows manager integrated with the
> > Desktop enviroment that's why is so dificult to find likeness between
> > them, let me explain my self better
> >

> > XServer ------------------------------> X.org <http://X.org>,XFree86
> > Desktop Enviroment (window manager)--->Gonome,KDE,XFace,etc
> >
> > The XServer is in charge of produce de windows and the WM is in charge
> > of define and manipulate de appearance of it.
> >
> > Hope this be enough for you
>
> And to confuse things just a little more, note that X is not constrained
> the local machine. It is perfectly capable of running the entire window
> manager/desktop from a different machine or intermingling individual
> windows from various machines or both. Likewise you are not constrained
> to just running the applications associated with one or the other of the
> desktop environments - you can mix those as well.
>
> --
> Les Mikesell
> lesmikesell at gmail.com
>
> --