Is SATA hard drive supported by Fedora?

Hongyu Sun sun.hongyu at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 13:43:19 UTC 2005

On 8/5/05, Markku Kolkka <markkuk at tuubi.net> wrote:
> Hongyu Sun kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika perjantai, 5.
> elokuuta 2005 06:05):
> > A good news. Could you please tell me the exact type and model
> > of the SATA? My comptuer is Dell OptiPlex GX280
> >
> > http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/o
> >ptix_gx280?c=us&cs=28&l=en&s=dfb
> >
> > So the hard drive is
> >
> > Serial ATA 40, 80, 160 and 250GB 7200 RPM hard drives with
> > S.M.A.R.T. II
>
> The support does not depend on the type of the hard disk, it
> depends of the SATA controller on your motherboard. Is your SATA
> controller listed as supported in
> http://linux.yyz.us/sata/sata-status.html ? If it is, it will
> work with any SATA hard drive.
>
> --
>  Markku Kolkka
>  markku.kolkka at iki.fi
>
> --

Thanks a lot. But how to find out what SATA controller on my
motherboard?  I have a Small Mini Tower (SMT) Chassis (GX280)

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/optix_gx280?c=us&cs=28&l=en&s=dfb&~tab=viewstab&~view=2#tabtop

Drive Bays: Two internal 3.5" X 1" hard drives; Two external 3.5"; Two
external 5.25"

Slots: Three 4.2" high PCI (length:& three 11" ), One PCIe x16 full
height graphics, One PCI x1 full height

How to find the SATA controller? It uses Intel Processor and currently
has Win XP.
Is the SATA info. in Bios or computer management?

Sorry about my ignorance.

Many thanks,