Linux Kicking Microsoft Out of Indiana Schools

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 14:29:16 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-05 at 09:11, Tony Nelson wrote:
> At 8:41 PM -0700 8/4/05, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> >http://www.webpronews.com/news/ebusinessnews/wpn-45-20050804LinuxKickingMicroso
> >ftOutOfIndianaSchools.html
> >
> >My only question is off all the Linux Distros why
> >Linspire?
>
> The schools probably have a lot of Microsoft and other MSWindows software
> that they just want to keep using.  FC doesn't run windows software, and it
> takes knowledge and work to add the necessary stuff and get it working, and
> looking familiar.  Linspire (formerly Lindows) is for doing that out of the
> box.

Lots of schools are using the k12ltsp distribution which is based on
fedora or Centos, depending on the version and built to network-boot
any old PC's as thin clients.  Some windows apps will run under wine
with this setup, but the sure-fire way is to run them under windows
terminal services on their own server (which is also a good way to
keep track of what it costs to keep them running), using rdesktop to
access the from the linux boxes.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com