making Samba work [not yet, it turns out]

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Fri Aug 5 14:36:18 UTC 2005

Am Fr, den 05.08.2005 schrieb Andy Pieters um 16:29:
> On Friday 05 August 2005 16:20, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> > Am Fr, den 05.08.2005 schrieb Andy Pieters um 15:36:

> > > Besides the previous configuration problems, when you change resolv.conf,
> > > you need to restart your network services.
> > >
> > > /sbin/service network restart
> > >
> > > to have it applied.
> > >
> > > Andy
> >
> > Sorry to say, but that is wrong. The changes to the resolv.conf are
> > being active immediately.

> How about the routes stored in memory then?  They updated automagically as
> well?

Weren't you speaking about /etc/resolv.conf? How should that config file
influence routing? Do I miss something in discussion here? But your
posting just expressed "if resolv.conf is changed a network restart is
necessary". And I say, there is no reason for that. Different DNS
servers are asked if that was changed, a different search is active
immediately, if that was changed.

Alexander

Serendipity 16:33:43 up 14:37, 18 users, 0.09, 0.07, 0.16