Display xclock / unable to connect to non-root user

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Fri Aug 5 14:55:38 UTC 2005

Am Fr, den 05.08.2005 schrieb Linux Beginner um 16:38:

Please do not hijack foreign threads. You replied to a different list
posting, so now your fresh new topic appears to be part of a different
(unfortunately with empty subject) thread. Store the list address in
your mail client's address book and start with a fresh mail when
starting a new discussion, please.

> I installed FC2 on my dual bott pc.  I created user oracle prior
> to installing Oracle.

Why did you choose a legacy (EOL) Fedora release? For a fresh install
that appears to be unwise.

> When i did
> ssh -F /etc/ssh/ssh_config -X oracle at localhost everything worked
> fine and i could invoke /usr/X11R6/bin/xclock; But later i
> carried out changes as advised in

You don't have to tell ssh with parameter -F to use a specific
ssh_config if that is the default location.

> http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/10g/OracleDB10gInstallationOnFedora2.php
>
> Changed the redhat-release file too.
>
> But now i am not able to connect to oracle user. The following
> is the summary.

> [root at localhost ssh]# cat /etc/ssh/ssh_config
[ ... ]
> Host *
>         ForwardX11 yes
>         ForwardX11Trusted yes

You have FC2 with OpenSSH < 3.8, so it does not know anything about
trusted X forwarding. That setting is only valid for newer OpenSSH
versions.

> [root at localhost ssh]# ssh -F /etc/ssh/ssh_config  -X
oracle at localhost

As your ssh_config contains the "ForwardX11 yes" setting your don't need
to specify -X on command line ssh call.

> /etc/ssh/ssh_config: line 39: Bad configuration option:
> ForwardX11Trusted
> /etc/ssh/ssh_config: terminating, 1 bad configuration options

See my comment above.

> I removed the last line for Trusted yes and now i am not able to
> connect to oracle.

> [root at localhost ssh]# ssh -v -F /etc/ssh/ssh_config  -X
> oracle at localhost
> OpenSSH_3.6.1p2, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090701f
> debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
> debug1: Applying options for *
> debug1: Rhosts Authentication disabled, originating port will
> not be trusted.
> debug1: Connecting to localhost [127.0.0.1] port 22.
> debug1: Connection established.
> debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/identity type -1
> debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
> debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
> debug1: Remote protocol version 1.99, remote software version
> OpenSSH_3.6.1p2
> debug1: match: OpenSSH_3.6.1p2 pat OpenSSH*
> debug1: Enabling compatibility mode for protocol 2.0
> debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_3.6.1p2
> debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent
> debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT received
> debug1: kex: server->client aes128-cbc hmac-md5 none
> debug1: kex: client->server aes128-cbc hmac-md5 none
> debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_REQUEST sent
> debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_GROUP
> debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_INIT sent
> debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_REPLY
> debug1: Host 'localhost' is known and matches the RSA host key.
> debug1: Found key in /root/.ssh/known_hosts:1
> debug1: ssh_rsa_verify: signature correct
> debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS sent
> debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS
> debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS received
> debug1: SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_REQUEST sent
> debug1: SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_ACCEPT received
> debug1: Authentications that can continue:
> publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
> debug1: Next authentication method: publickey
> debug1: Trying private key: /root/.ssh/identity
> debug1: Trying private key: /root/.ssh/id_rsa
> debug1: Trying private key: /root/.ssh/id_dsa
> debug1: Next authentication method: keyboard-interactive
> debug1: Authentications that can continue:
> publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
> debug1: Next authentication method: password
> oracle at localhost's password:
> debug1: Authentication succeeded (password).

Here that password authentication succeeded.

> debug1: channel 0: new [client-session]
> debug1: Entering interactive session.
> debug1: channel 0: request pty-req
> debug1: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.
> debug1: channel 0: request x11-req
> debug1: channel 0: request shell

What shell does the "oracle" user have?

> debug1: channel 0: open confirm rwindow 0 rmax 32768
> debug1: channel_free: channel 0: client-session, nchannels 1
> Connection to localhost closed by remote host.
> Connection to localhost closed.
> debug1: Transferred: stdin 0, stdout 0, stderr 81 bytes in 0.2
> seconds
> debug1: Bytes per second: stdin 0.0, stdout 0.0, stderr 458.4
> debug1: Exit status -1

> I tried connecting as my own login user(not oracle) but the
> error message continues. It means i am not able to connect to
> any non-root user by this command.

Alexander

Serendipity 16:47:05 up 14:50, 18 users, 0.04, 0.09, 0.10