vertical color bars appearing in menus

Rick Wagner wagnerric at condor.cxo.cpqcorp.net
Fri Aug 5 17:20:51 UTC 2005

On Friday 29 July 2005 11:28 am, Claude Jones wrote:
> Running FC4 with KDE 3.4.2
> This machine is an upgrade from FC3. In many menus, small, translucent
> vertical colored bars appear over individual letters that are underlined in
> menus, It first appeared everywhere after the upgrade, including in Kmenu
> and most programs and even  the login screen. Since then, they've
> disappeared from most of the above, but they still linger in some programs
> and on the login screen. Unfortunately, I have no idea what changed. For a
> screen grab, you can look here:
> http://www.levitjames.com/kdecolorbars.html
> I logged into Gnome yesterday, and the problem persisted in a couple of
> programs (Kyum is one for example). I've tried all the items in the desktop
> configuration, changing styles, widgets, etc. I looked at the xorg conf
> file for anything obvious. I've posted this over at KDE-Redhat but no one
> there is getting it, save one individual who got rid of it by playing with
> his widget settings.
> Anyone else getting this?
> --

I saw this before on another system.  I don't recall the solution, but it may
have had something to do with the window style or decorations.  Make sure the
window style and window decorations you select are built against your version
of kde.  I thought they should be ABI compatable, but I have had problems in
the past.  Start by changing to a standard style distributed with kde (i.e.
bluecurve), if that works, rebuild your style, or find an updated package.

HTH,
	--rick