how to change monitor freq in FC4?

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sat Aug 6 01:04:48 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-05 at 19:31 -0400, Jack Howarth wrote:
>    While installing Fedora Core 4 on a Dell Dimension 4700 with Dell
> E173FP LCD display, I noticed that the refresh rate selected (76 Hz)
> for displaying 1280x1024 shifted the default display on the LCD to the
> left by about 1/2 inch. The optimal (the default) setting for the
> E173FP is 60 Hz for 1280x1024. However, I can't access the desired
> 60 Hz refresh rate using the Desktop->Preferences->Screen Resolution
> menu item. The Screen Resolution Preferences dialog that appears only
> shows 76 Hz in the dropdown menu. I would like to do this through the
> gui if possible rather than resorting to manually calculating
> modelines (yuck). Thanks in advance for any advice.
>                  Jack

Manually edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

I had to change the section below to set the VertRefresh so it forced
the server to use 60.0 and it worked for me. The commented line was what
was detected, but the monitor (flat panel) would not display the max
resolution until I fixed the refresh rate.

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "Samsung SyncMaster 213T"