Silly Question - New Login

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Aug 6 03:04:03 UTC 2005

Dotan Cohen wrote:

>On 8/5/05, Anil Kumar Sharma <xplusaks at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Further simple complexity is that you may be running more than one instances
>>of GUI on same ^machine^ and switching between them by hot keys Ctrl+Alt+F7
>>-F8 -F9 -F10 and -F11.These can be GUI consoles of your choice KDE/Gnome/etc
>>running simultaneously as different/same(caution) users and a few of them
>>may be running remote applications / providing remote logins and all of them
>>may have multiple desktops. So U may think, feel, and be rich......well not
>>really unless U have a pretty / decently fast machine else power of runlevel
>>1 is also awesome .... depends on on u do with it, ...well I am learning.
>>Not satisfied yet ....OK you can have multihead displays, multiple
>>processors, Multiple boxes housing motherboards/processors/
>>RAMS/storage/andwhatnot..... You may also have multiple keyboards and mice
>>attached if U have biomachines (people).
>>
>>We are not talking network - this is one kernel i.e. only one ^opsys^ and
>>that is what I understand LINUX ( oops *nix) to be.
>>Lets say Thanks to Linus Torvalds  (or shall we also say so to the Gurus of
>>__).
>>
>>PS: it can emulate your **favorite GUIdos also somewhere in those many
>>consoles. Please don't laugh, it is trillion $ industry - only smiles
>>please.
>>
>>Anil Kumar Shrama
>>

>Anil Kumar,
>That was a rather interesting post to read. But I've been googling for
>some time now, as you interested me in what you had said about running
>multiple guis in different consoles. I would like to have F7 and F8 as
>two seperate gui's. How does one accomplish that? Thanks.
>
>Dotan Cohen
>http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/402/pink_floyd.php
>Pink Floyd Song Lyrics

Applications --> System tools -->> New Login

This will let you open different users for different consoles. There are
items like sound that don't work wel on the new login, but it is handy
for running KDE or XFCE in one console and Gnome in the other.

Jim

--
The whole history of computers is rampant with cheerleading at best and
bigotry at worst.