Choosing YUM Repositories

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Sat Aug 6 08:57:36 UTC 2005

Am Freitag, den 05.08.2005, 18:46 -1000 schrieb Ping-Wu Zhang:
> I have heard that it is not a good idea to mix YUM repositories
> belonging to different "camps".  Apparently, there are two camps which
> should not be commingled:
>
> 1.  The default Fedora extra + Livna
> 2.  Everyone else (including dag, Freshrpms, etc.)

Mixing these repositories is mostly not a ig issue. You may read
http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/FAQ.php#D for more info.

Especially with atrpms and sometimes with dag they update some fedora
core packages which is a no-no according to the extra's policy. If you
use yum to update your system (and have dag and atrpms activated) it is
not a problem in everyday life (it is in theory). If you use up2date,
there may arise a problem sometimes.

If you wich to use the safe way, you should configure the other
repositories, but don't activate them by default (enabled=0 in the repo
file). If you look for a specific solftware package you may

  yum --enablerepro=[deactiveRepoName] search [myNeededSoftware]

And if one of the alternative repos has it, you may install it from
there in the same way.

Peter