fedora-list Digest, Vol 17, Issue 299

Simon Slater sslater at cybanet.net.au
Sat Aug 6 09:03:55 UTC 2005

> Simon Slater wrote:
> > On Wednesday 20 July 2005 05:20, Simon Slater wrote:
> >
> >>	I have a PII running FC3 with a DEC500 as eth0.  It has
> worked fine for
> >>months when directly connected (crossover cable) to another desktop with
> >
> > an
> >
> >>identical FC3 installation but Realtek NIC using NFS, or similarly to a
> >>laptop (Win98) using Samba. These latter two communicate fine through a
> >>Synoptics Lattishub 2803.  However when the PII is connected to the
> >>Lattishub, the LINK LED only flashes once every few seconds
> along with the
> >>DATA, (DATA) & COL LED's. I cannot ping any other host. The cables
> >>(straight through) have been checked. The configuration still allows
>
> IANAE on hubs, but, it sounds like the card is having problems
> ntgotiating the transfer speed with the hub.  mii-tool can help (but I'm
> not an expert in using it).  It should be able to tell you how the NIC
> is configured.  I assume you're using a static IP configuration and that
> the PII tells you that the interface is up and running (ifconfig)?
>
> > direct
> >
> >>connection with NFS or Samba which still works fine.
>
> ??  What configuration?  The NIC?  It works with NFS and Samba when you
> use a crossover cable?
>
> I'd use mii-tool and look at the differences in the NIC between the 2
> situations and try and determine what's wrong.
>
> Sometimes, certain NICs don't play well with certain routers....
>
> Is the NIC 10M?  100M?   1000M?   What about the hub?
>
> >>	Does anyone know what the problem may be?  Any suggested fixes?
> >>
> >>Regards
> >>Simon Slater.
> >

> > Not familiar with that hub, but could the cable possibly be
> plugged into an
> > uplink configured port, not a downlink? I've done that before.
> >
> > Tom
> >
> > --
> > 	I have not had anything to do with this hub until recently, have no
> > documentation and could find nothing useful when googling.  All the RJ45
> > ports on the front are MDI-X except port 1 which switches between MDI &
> > MDI-X. The only other ports, which I am not familiar with
> using, are AUI (15
> > pin RS-232 female)on the front, Terminal (9 pin RS-232 male)
> and Expansion
> > (25 pin RS-232 female)on the rear.
>
> I'd stick with the MDI-X ports as the MDI only port looks like an
> uplink....  (I could be wrong though, it might be possible that the
> MDI-X ports autodetect the cable, crossover or straight).  Check the hub
> specs to be sure.
>
> > 	I have swapped the Cat 5 cable between a variety of ports
> (16 in all) with
> > the same results: the ones that work, work anywhere, but this one won't
> > regardless of position.
> >
> > 	Is there a way to see what the card is doing from the FC3
> side, or talk to
> [...]
	Sorry for the delay in replying Kevin, but this week has been very hectic
and my time on this has been scattered about.  I downloaded a binary of
mii-tool.  There could be no link beat (?) at this NIC and autonegotiation
is not working.  The other computers show 10baseT-HD.  Advertising this or
10baseT-FD doesn't work, neither does using the force option.  Monitoring
with the -w option gives alternating lines of "no link" and "link OK" with
the occasional line "100Mbit, half duplex, no link" so forcing doesn't seem
to work.

	I have found the source code for mii-diag but have not downloaded and
compiled in FC3 yet (I'm still fairly new to the Linux world, and loving
it!), since I have been doing a bit more reading first.  I will post when
this is done, unless anyone has amore advice first.

Regards, Simon