Choosing YUM Repositories

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Sat Aug 6 09:18:09 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-06 at 10:57 +0200, Peter Boy wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 05.08.2005, 18:46 -1000 schrieb Ping-Wu Zhang:
> > I have heard that it is not a good idea to mix YUM repositories
> > belonging to different "camps".  Apparently, there are two camps which
> > should not be commingled:
> >
> > 1.  The default Fedora extra + Livna
> > 2.  Everyone else (including dag, Freshrpms, etc.)
>
> Mixing these repositories is mostly not a ig issue. You may read
> http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/FAQ.php#D for more info.
>
> Especially with atrpms and sometimes with dag they update some fedora
> core packages which is a no-no according to the extra's policy. If you
> use yum to update your system (and have dag and atrpms activated) it is
> not a problem in everyday life (it is in theory). If you use up2date,
> there may arise a problem sometimes.

Yum and up2date should not behave any differently in this respect.
Conflicting packages conflict no matter now they are installed.

> If you wich to use the safe way, you should configure the other
> repositories, but don't activate them by default (enabled=0 in the repo
> file). If you look for a specific solftware package you may
>
>   yum --enablerepro=[deactiveRepoName] search [myNeededSoftware]

"enablerepo", not "enablerepro".

> And if one of the alternative repos has it, you may install it from
> there in the same way.

This is reasonably safe to do; certainly better than leaving the
"incompatible" repos enabled by default.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>