FC4 installation problem

Cokey fdepercin at sc.rr.com
Sat Aug 6 16:32:47 UTC 2005

I have a system that has been running RH 7.3 for a number of years and
which I'm now trying to install FC4 on.  The system uses aTyan Thunder
2500 (S1867) mother board (ServerWorks OSB4  chip set) with the on board
SCSI and  network controller turned off.  The network controller because
it seemed to be having problems and the SCSI because it didn't work
correctly with the 'new' Symbios driver.  For storage, it uses a Mylex
DAC960 (model 1100) dual channel hardware RAID controller attached to 4
18G drives (2 per channel) and a Symbios 53c896 dual channel SCSI
controller with various drives/cdrom/DVD/Tape hung off it.  There is
also a 3Com 3c905C-TX network card, NetMos Technology VScom 021H-EP2 2
port parallel adapter and an on board S3 Inc. 86c368 video controller.

The problem is that the installation hangs solid almost immediately
after it asks about checking the CD, leaving a blank blue screen.  Note
that I have checked the CD's and have installed FC4 from these CD's on
two other machines, so I don't think the problem is with the CD's.

Screen #3 shows:
load module set done
modules to insert parport parport_pc
loaded parport form /mnt/runtime/modules/modules/modules.cgz
loaded parport_pc from /mnt/runtime/modules/modules/modules.cgz
inserted /tmp/parport.ko
(end)

Screen #4 shows:
(Raid installed - MD etc)
JFS nTxBlock = 8192 nTxLock = 65536
SGI XFS with ACL's, security attribures, large block numbers, no
debugging enabled
SGI XFS Quota Management Subsystem
device mapper: 4.4.0-ioctl (2005-01-12) initialized: dm-devel at redhat.com
(end)

I've tried various install parameters (nofb and the like) in various
combinations but haven't
gotten anywhere.  I've Google'd and looked in Bugzilla but found
nothing.  Doesn't mean there's
nothing there, just that I haven't found it.  Any/all suggestions welcomed.

Tnx

Cokey

believed to be clean.