writing to windoze partition

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun Aug 7 15:38:29 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-08-07 at 05:41 -0700, Globe Trotter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have the ntfs kernel installed and the following line in my /etc/fstab.
>
> /dev/hda1       /media/windows  ntfs    rw,defaults,umask=0222  0 0
                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I suggest you not use the defaults option and use "ro" instead of "rw".
Umask of 222 turns off write permissions on all files and is suggested
for that reason.  If you *really* insist on write permissions take that
out.
You also may need to add other options such as UID=XXX,GID=XXX to give
your user full access.

Note that if you write to an NTFS partition and create a new file or
extend an existing file it *may* corrupt the filesystem since AFAIK
Linux cannot manipulate the MFT in the NTFS filesystem.

> The windoze partition mounts okay and I can change directories, etc.
>
> cd /media/windows/Documents and Settings/globe/Desktop
>
> However, I am unable to copy files to it on linux (FC4). What do I have to do
> to be able to do this?
>
> Many thanks and best wishes!

You have already been told why it does not work.  What most do to have
an area where files can be transferred back and forth and be seen in
both OSes ( Windows using NTFS and Linux ) is have a fat32 partition.
Since both OSes can read/write in fat32 this seems to be a viable
alternative for now.