Running a script at boot

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 18:35:40 UTC 2005

On 8/7/05, Christoph Wickert <christoph.wickert at gmx.de> wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 07.08.2005, 20:46 +0300 schrieb Dotan Cohen:
> > Simple question: how do I start a script that must be run as root at
> > boot? I've been googleing and I came across chkconfig, but I don't
> > want to mess with it for the first time alone.
> >
> > I've also poked around in MARC for "running script startup" on the
> > fedora-list and others. The only thing that seemed relevant was a post
> > for SUSE where the following was suggested:
> > ln -s /usr/sbin/myscript /etc/init.d/rc3.d/S99myscript
> >
> > Is this relevant for FC4 as well? Thanks.
>
> Yes.
>
> I don't want to be impolite, but I'd like to ask you to read the manuals
> _before_ you post to this list.
>
> "A Detailed Look at the Boot Process"
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/ref-guide/s1-boot-init-shutdown-process.html
>
> "Running Additional Programs at Boot Time"
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/ref-guide/s1-boot-init-shutdown-run-boot.html
>
> Thanks!
> Christoph

That's not impolite- you are one hunder percent correct. The Detailed
Look at the Boot Process I skimmed over in a non-redhat specifc
version with the same name, that I found on google. It did not have
the link to Running Additional Programs at Boot Time. Also, as I'd
rather not do anything harmful because I do not feel skilled enough to
understand what I break, I thought it safest to ask here first. But
you are right, I always STFW and RTFM to the best of my ability before
I post. Four out of five times, I get my answer right there! No need
to post, no waste time,...

Thanks.

Dotan Cohen
http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/302/lauper_cyndi.php