Update - yum -y not downloading data...

Steven Bradley steven at sgbradley.com
Sun Aug 7 22:44:14 UTC 2005

I recently subscribed to this list and for some reason, EVERY posting is
sent to me THREE times.  I am not kidding.  I must conclude the server
sending these out uses some species of Fedora Linux with latest updates
installed :-( as I've had the same problem as this person did during an
update attempt yesterday.

I am getting ready to give up on Fedora.  Here is why:

I've ran Red Hat Linux 6.1 on a very old EISA server (50 Mhz, 15 years old,
STILL running and sending this e-mail BTW!).

My best-laid plan was simple - Build a new(er) system - 550 Mhz K6-2 AMD
processor, 512M RAM, 180G (2 drives), two NICs (one for external internet,
one for local net connections).

So far, so good.  I purchased two books - The Fedora 3 Bible and Fedora 3
Unleashed to assist in learning new technology.

I am an experienced administrator with computer experience dating back to
1980 and both an AS degree in Data Processing and BS degree in Computer
Science.

Between receiving the books and preparing the CDs, I learned Fedora Core 4
had been released.  I thought "excellent" as my intention was to use the
most current available as I plan to use it for many years to come.
Obviously 6.1 would work, but would not be best.  I also would like X
Windows as well which my older machine definitely can not support.

I've spent much of the last THREE WEEKS reviewing and attempting
installations and it appears Fedora is impossible.

Here are my findings -

Red Hat Linux 9 appears to work well and installs correctly.  All updates
provided by Red Hat install and appear to work correctly.  The updates
provided by the Fedora Legacy group appear to also install and update
correctly.  No problems on functionality of RHL 9 except I'd like something
more recent.

RHL 9 is a possible candidate for my plans, but I'd have to manually
configure my DNS for internal/external views as the GUI tool included does
not understand such things.

In comes Fedora Core 4 . I make the CDs, I install the product, and with a
fast processor and lots of space, I select Everything for package choice,
around 6-7G as I recall.  It takes a while to install it all.

Well I've done his several times and each time I go to use the updates, I
find them broken.  I've seen (since July 30) problems with some polish
update which can not resolve some issues and breaks the update process.
I've seen situations of dependencies not satisfied.

The short form - I've not been able to freshly install Fedora Core 4
completely, with the Everything option used AND install all of the available
updates, without some error or errors preventing the successful completion.

So, I think, I did buy Fedora Core 3 books and it has been out a little
longer, perhaps it may be actually stable and works now?

I've tried Fedora Core 3 and when I install everything with it, I have other
problems, apparently SELinux related.

The conclusion is the same - both appear broken in terms of the currently
available updates.

Some of the problems appear SElinux related, as if the updates install (as I
recall Fedora Core 3 does), upon reboot, I have a list of SElinux errors
during boot which were not there before the updates were installed.  I do
not feel like fixing problems on a product which should at least install and
update the first time without an issue.  It's like buying a new car and
finding the wheels all fall off on the way home!

I seriously wonder how the release is approved for distribution with the
problems I've seen during the last three weeks.  It takes close to 9 hours
from start to finish to install and update either release.  That allows two
attempts per day if timed for one to pass during some sleeping hours.

During my hunt for answers, I learned of the 30 day eval for the enterprise
version of the AS server product.  Since I take at 6-8 hours of college
credit a semester to maintain my Micro$oft $kill$, I am eligible to also
spend $50 on the academic offer they have.  I plan to take courses for the
next several years, hence I am eligible to install and maintain their AS
product for $50 per year if it works.

My current plan is to download the AS product and see how well it works or
fails.  I've used Linux for a long time and have never seen the problems I
have with the Fedora stuff.

Questions -

Has anyone else recently installed Fedora Core 3 or 4 and installed
Everything for the package option and successfully ran a full update on it
after it was installed?  Success means all updates install, no dependency
problems, no SElinux added warnings or errors after a reboot after the
updates.

It appears the Red Hat Linux Enterprise AS product is available as an eval
for 30 days free, as an academic priced for $50 a year, and as a commercial
product priced at some much higher price.

More Questions -

Is it the same binary product (ie CDs) used for all three classes of user?
Ie, same CDs for the eval, as for the academic, as for the commercial, with
the only difference being the price paid and level or no technical support
included?

It appears this may be the case.  Same software, priced by support or class
of user only.

Assuming above is true, then it would appear also correct that the $50 a
year is for a subscription to their update server to download updates,
correct?

Last question -

If I have used a 30 day eval, the 30 days are coming to an end, can I
purchase the $50 academic subscription for the _same_ installation and not
have to re-install the software when the type of subscription changes from
eval to academic?  As far as I can see, both versions have the same level of
support provided (none) and only offer download of updates and binaries.

I guess there are some advantages to continuing to take college credit
courses each year, those academic savings sure add up!

All help will be appreciated.  I really do not want to leave Red Hat Linux,
but it appears it has some problems.  I've successfully installed the
Micro$oft $erver 2003 on the same hardware and it installs and runs without
any problems of any kind.

Steven

--

Steven Bradley

steven at sgbradley.com

S.G. Bradley Computer Solutions

803 Renaissance Pointe #205, Altamonte Springs, FL  32714-3544

407-297-9628 (Home)   407-296-8304 (Office)   407-296-8727 (Fax)

http://www.sgbradley.com