FC4 and external hard drive (USB)

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Sun Aug 7 23:38:16 UTC 2005

On Sun August 7 2005 7:21 pm, Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-08-07 at 22:41 +0100, J.Underwood wrote:
> > I am considering purchasing a USB hard drive to use with a FC4 system. I
> > am currently considering one of the Lacie 80 GB models, and was
> > wondering if anyone had any comments on how well supported these types
> > of devices are with FC4?
>
> If it is one of the many drives that are just "plug and go" under
> Windows and Mac, it ought to work fine.
>
> Using an 80 GB Maxtor external 80GB hard drive here.  Works great with
> Fedora.  In fact, I'm copying some files to it as I write this message.

In my view, most of the USB externals now being marketed, were designed by
grads from fashion schools, NOT engineers. We have had multiple failures of
these devices during this time, numbering over 10 at this point. There are
two main culprits: Maxtor, and heat. All the USB externals that I know of are
being warrantied for one year. There's  a reason for that. We have dissected
many of these cases and have found the insides to be brownish/black. These
things have been put out with silence/styling as their selling points and
this is problematic. They literally bake themselves to death.

We have been on an odyssey of late, looking for alternatives; there are a
number of aftermarket cases out there that recognize this problem and have
cooling fans. That would be my first suggestion. Secondly, when you assemble
the device, choose Seagate, which still sells drives with 5-year warranties.

LaCie suffers from both of the above issues. The cases are heat traps, not
sinks, and the drives inside are Maxtor - caveat emptor. I just took a LaCie
apart two weeks ago - the ribbon cable, and all the pc parts were literally
covered with a brownish/blackish veneer - the guy in support 'couldn't
understand it' and assured me that the warranty has just expired, two months
earlier. The drive was a Maxtor 200 GB.

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA