FC4 and external hard drive (USB)

Gaddis, Jeremy L. jeremy at linuxwiz.net
Mon Aug 8 00:06:48 UTC 2005

Claude Jones wrote:
> LaCie suffers from both of the above issues. The cases are heat traps, not
> sinks, and the drives inside are Maxtor - caveat emptor. I just took a LaCie
> apart two weeks ago - the ribbon cable, and all the pc parts were literally
> covered with a brownish/blackish veneer - the guy in support 'couldn't
> understand it' and assured me that the warranty has just expired, two months
> earlier. The drive was a Maxtor 200 GB.

Not trying to point fingers at any one particular vendor, but of the
last 50 drives I've seen go bad (I work at an .edu -- we go through a
lot of drives), a good 95% of them were Maxtors.

In the last few days, I've also had a Maxtor 160GB drive in a server at
home go bad.  It's not actually dead yet, but POST gives the S.M.A.R.T.
"imminent failure" message.  This drive, also, is just barely out of
warranty.

-j

--
Jeremy L. Gaddis     <jeremy at linuxwiz.net>

"If it's not on fire, it's a software problem."