Update - yum -y not downloading data...

Gaddis, Jeremy L. jeremy at linuxwiz.net
Mon Aug 8 00:06:24 UTC 2005

Steven Bradley wrote:
> The short form - I've not been able to freshly install Fedora Core 4
> completely, with the Everything option used AND install all of the available
> updates, without some error or errors preventing the successful completion.

Can't really offer any advice here -- I've never done an "Everything"
install.  My installs are usually "Minimal" and, occasionally, a
"Workstation" install.

> During my hunt for answers, I learned of the 30 day eval for the enterprise
> version of the AS server product.  Since I take at 6-8 hours of college
> credit a semester to maintain my Micro$oft $kill$, I am eligible to also
> spend $50 on the academic offer they have.  I plan to take courses for the
> next several years, hence I am eligible to install and maintain their AS
> product for $50 per year if it works.

Aye, same here.  As a staff member at an .edu, I'm eligible for this.  I
just purchased it a while back for my personal use, then purchased it
for use at $work.

> It appears the Red Hat Linux Enterprise AS product is available as an eval
> for 30 days free, as an academic priced for $50 a year, and as a commercial
> product priced at some much higher price.

Yep.

> Is it the same binary product (ie CDs) used for all three classes of user?
> Ie, same CDs for the eval, as for the academic, as for the commercial, with
> the only difference being the price paid and level or no technical support
> included?

No idea WRT the eval.  I know that when I purchased the academic
license, I was sent to a download page to download ISO images for the
four CDs for AS.  AFAICT, they're the exact same ISO images you would
get if you purchased the (full-price) commercial version.

> It appears this may be the case.  Same software, priced by support or class
> of user only.

That's the impression I get.

> Assuming above is true, then it would appear also correct that the $50 a
> year is for a subscription to their update server to download updates,
> correct?

Yep, because you don't get support with the Academic License.

> I guess there are some advantages to continuing to take college credit
> courses each year, those academic savings sure add up!

Indeed!  Microsoft does the same thing with the Academic Pricing for its
products.  I purchased personal copies of Windows XP Pro and Office 2003
Pro for <$10.

> All help will be appreciated.  I really do not want to leave Red Hat Linux,
> but it appears it has some problems.  I've successfully installed the
> Micro$oft $erver 2003 on the same hardware and it installs and runs without
> any problems of any kind.

Best of luck.

HTH,
-j

--
Jeremy L. Gaddis     <jeremy at linuxwiz.net>

"If it's not on fire, it's a software problem."