Wireless: good signal but erratic speed

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at pathfinder.phys.utk.edu
Mon Aug 8 13:36:53 UTC 2005

Hello,
I have two FC 4 machine with wireless card (one desktop, one laptop). The
laptop use ndiswrapper. The wireless signal strength is reported good on both
machines. iwconfig and kwifimanager reported it's above 90/100. But the speed
are often erratic. Sometimes I got 11Mb/s, sometimes it drops to 1Mb/s. The
access point is a D-Link combo wired+wireless router. Any idea what might
cause this problem? Is this the AP problem or the machines ? I just don't
understand why I get erratic wireless speed when the signal strength is
reported good all the times. Thank you for any help.

RDB