How to select nic while bootup?

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Mon Aug 8 14:08:32 UTC 2005

On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 09:02:10AM +0200, Roger Grosswiler wrote:
> Hey list,
>
> i have 2 laptops, with those i can either connect via rj-45 or via
> wireless. I use (at this stage) WPA to authenticate on wirless.
>
> The thing is, that fc tries just to init eth0 on bootup, not wlan0. So,
> all the following networking functionalities will fail.
>
> How can i:
>
> - tell the bootprocess to check also for the existance of wlan0 ?
> - start wpa_supplicant only if wlan0 needs to be booted?
>
> should i try to handle this issue on the bootscript for eth0 itself?
>
> Thanks for any help
> Roger

I don't know if I understand the problem completely but two solutions
see possible:
1. Manual approach - configure eth) not to come up on boot. If the
wlan fails then bring up eth0 manually.

2. Configure both interfaces not ot come up on boot. In
/etc/rc.d/rc.local place a script that first tries to bring up the
wlan0. If the fails the eth0 interface is brought up.

ifup <interface name>  brings up interfaces.

What, after all, is a halo?  It's only one more thing to keep clean.
		-- Christopher Fry
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University