interesting linux vs windows observation

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.msbb.uc.edu
Mon Aug 8 16:32:43 UTC 2005

    I discovered something interesting this weekend about the
relative stability of Windows and Linux when my son's computer
developed a dying hard drive (as reported by the Maxtor test
software and the bios hard drive test). Under Windows, this
Dell Dimension 4700 with sata drive would suffer a blue screen
of death after about 30 minutes of usage. Since nothing
essential was on the drive, I wiped it and tried reinstalling
windows with the same result. So at this point I installed Fedora
Core 4. I have been running the system with Fedora Core 4 all weekend
long now without a single glitch despite the hard drive problems.
Rather impressive.
                   Jack