making Samba work [new detail]

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Aug 9 14:09:15 UTC 2005

Claude Jones wrote:
> On Tue August 9 2005 8:52 am, Paul Howarth wrote:
>
>>What's in /etc/rndc.conf?
>>

> options {
>         default-server  localhost;
>         default-key     "rndckey";
> };
>
> server localhost {
>         key     "rndckey";
> };
>
> include "/etc/rndc.key";

That looks fine.

>>Is there a `include "/etc/rndc.key";' in both files,
>
> no - I asked about that very issue several posts back, but I guess you missed
> that - I spotted that discrepancy in the Redhat documentation and asked about
> it, but no one responded - I had the 'include' statement in rndc.conf but not
> in named.conf - this is just from default installation - Redhat docs
> mentioned it being needed in named.conf but didn't mention this line in the
> rndc.conf doc at all - I had asked whether it should be in both - made sense
> to me....

You need something like this:

//
// Key for use with rndc
//
include "/etc/rndc.key";

// Allow control from localhost using key only.
controls {
	inet 127.0.0.1 allow { localhost; } keys { "rndckey"; };
};

>>and a symlink:
>>/etc/rndc.key -> /var/named/chroot/etc/rndc.key
>>

> this I've done per your suggestion of a couple of posts back
>
> I guess my next step is to delete the named.conf in /etc, and create a symlink
> there, instead, to the one in chroot, and then put the 'include' statement in
> it...

I'd look at both /etc/named.conf and /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf
and see merge any changes you've made into
/var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf. Only then delete /etc/named.conf and
make the symlink.

Paul.