can't install Matlab on Fedora Core 4

Amadeus W. M. amadeus84 at cablespeed.com
Tue Aug 9 15:24:57 UTC 2005

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 13:06:31 -0500, Hongyu Sun wrote:

> Dear all:
>
> Thanks to your help, I have installed Fedora to my computer using SATA
> hard drive. But I have problems on Matlab installation. It appears it
> is related to installation of Fedora
>
> I tried to install Matlab 7. As the document instructed, in my matlab
> directory, I typed
>
> \cdrom\install*

Is this the original matlab cd, or a copy?

Are you installing as root?

su -
cd /media/cdrom
./install_unix.sh

I installed matlab when I had SELinux (disabled it since then), with no
problems whatsoever.

By the way, has anybody found a way to fool matlab into believing that the
cdrom is in the drive? The student version requires the cd in the drive to
start. Which is very annoying, unnecessarily wears out the drive and the
cd, I have to carry the cd with me, etc. Making a dd copy and having it
mounted on /media/cdrom does not work. I think what needs to be done is to
find the program/script that tries to read from the cd, but I looked hard,
and I couldn't find it. Anybody?